As a freelance copy editor, getting contracts with major hotels can be an excellent way to grow your business and establish a steady stream of income. However, it can be challenging to break into this competitive niche market, and it requires more than just a great portfolio or a big social media presence.
Here are some tips on how to get a contract with a hotel:
1. Define your niche: Start by identifying your niche within the hospitality industry. Determine what area of copy editing you specialize in, and focus on hotels that would benefit from your skills. For instance, if you specialize in website copy, reach out to hotels that require website copy updates or refreshes.
2. Research your target hotels: Once you have identified your niche, do some research on the hotels that operate within it. Familiarize yourself with their brand voice and tone and learn about their target audience. This will help you tailor your pitch to their specific needs.
3. Network: Networking is essential in any industry, and the hospitality industry is no exception. Attend industry events and seminars to connect with hotel owners and managers. Also, connect with industry professionals on social media and build relationships with them. They can recommend you for projects and contracts.
4. Create a portfolio: A portfolio is a valuable tool for demonstrating your skills. Create a portfolio that showcases your best work. It should include examples of your copy editing skills, such as before-and-after examples and testimonials from satisfied clients.
5. Reach out to hotel managers: Contact hotel managers and introduce yourself through email or calls. Make sure to be concise, clear, and professional in your communication. Explain your value proposition and how your services can help their hotel grow their business.
6. Stay up-to-date: Stay up-to-date with industry trends and technologies. As the industry evolves, your skills and knowledge should evolve too. Attend workshops and training sessions to learn about new trends and technologies in the hospitality industry.
In conclusion, getting contracts with hotels requires a combination of skills, knowledge, and networking. By defining your niche, researching your target hotels, networking, creating a portfolio, reaching out to hotel managers, and staying up-to-date with industry trends, you can establish yourself as a reliable and skilled copy editor in the hospitality industry.